Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Value of Work

I was asked a couple of weeks ago to speak in sacrament meeting today. The topic was the value of work which is easy for me because my parents taught me how to work. But I was the last speaker which is a daunting position to be in. If you don't speak long enough there's an awkward gap where they either end the meeting early or ask people from the congregation to come and speak. If you speak too long people are looking at their watches wondering when you are going to be done. (I know because I do this.) But my 18-minute talk fit perfectly and I even added a few tidbits here and there. I just don't want to do it again in the next five years. Check me off the list.

I'm glad my parents taught me how to work. My mom taught me how to cook and bake, plant flowers, clean the house, do crafts, paint, create memories and read. My dad taught me how to use a screwdriver, measure and run a front-end loader. I've caulked, laid tile, pulled carpet, laid linoleum, painted, stained, tightened loose screws (I've had a few ...), sprayed squeaky hinges and more. I normally don't wait for Riley to take care of a problem, I just do it myself. I sometimes have to ask for help but many times I've problem-solved myself. It's because my dad believed in me and there was no "women's work" or "men's work." I hope I've instilled that in my own kids - it's a nice trait to have - a good work ethic.

No comments:

Post a Comment