Sunday, July 11, 2010

I love my high school friends

Two years ago we had our 30th class reunion. It was a second attempt since the classmate who was in charge of the first one couldn't find anyone and it flopped. The second wasn't much better but we did get more people to come.

Six months ago I realized all of us are turning 50 this year so I told my friend Jon Groneman we needed to throw a "Class of 1978 turns 50" party which we did last night. Facebook helped us find so many more people and different people from two years ago. We had a blast. As usual, we sat and talked about all the crazy things we did in high school. Some people who listened were shocked, they never knew about the shenanigans. Others knew but weren't a part of them. And those of us who were in the thick of all the madness told the stories. Again. And we laughed.

I love these friends. I love the time I spent in high school, not just because of the pranks and naughty stuff that makes us laugh now but because we were so close as friends. We lived our lives together, some of us from kindergarten through high school, and a few even into college. Probably a day didn't go by that we didn't makes plans daily to be together back then.

I've tried to keep track of people over the years. Every year when I lived away I'd come back from Texas and meet with some of my girlfriends for dinner. We still do this once in a while. And now with Facebook I've reconnected with so many more and it's fun to have little chats online with them. The older I get the more I treasure friends and the relationships we had and can still have. It's one of life's greatest gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment