Thursday, November 18, 2010

10 years

My dad died 10 years ago today at 9:10 a.m. I was with him when he died. So was my mom. She sang, "there is sunshine in your soul today," changing the words a bit here and there. It was a peaceful, spiritual moment to see him pass. He had suffered for 19 months, paralyzed from a snowmobile accident April 12, 2009. He didn't like life much during those 19 months but in the last day or two of his life, he told me he had to just be ok with what he could do and not be so upset about what he couldn't. I believe once he showed he had learned that he was then allowed to leave his earthly existence.

I love my dad. He was a great man. He taught me many wonderful things like how to work - weed the garden, mow the lawn, fix things using any kind of tool and problem solve. He taught me how to play - snowmobile, waterski, play HORSE (basketball), put together jigsaw puzzles, play nertz. He knew a lot and was an authority on many things. He was an avid reader. He created beautiful wood-carved treasures. He got tickled at himself when he surprised someone with something he'd made and saw their reaction.

While things didn't turn out the way I wanted them to with my dad (I moved here from Texas thinking we'd build things, snowmobile, etc. but he got hurt before we got here), I had some treasured moments with him in his last 19 months. We had conversations we would never have had because we were thrown together, me caring for him. There were no work or play distractions, just talking.

I'm thankful for my dad. I'm thankful I was with him when he died. I'm thankful for everything he taught me. I miss you dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment