Thursday, June 11, 2009

29 years ago

Twenty-nine years ago tonight I was a nervous bride-to-be. I probably went to bed early so that my mom, dad and I could drive 2 1/2 hours north to Logan to meet Riley and his parents for our 9 a.m. sealing. I only remember a few things about that day. Another couple got in a car accident on the way to the temple. They were shaken but went through with their sealing. I cried through most of the ceremony and so did my mom. My dad and Riley's dad were witnesses and they were both beaming. None of my grandparents - Leah Wheeler, or Shirl and Crystal Poulson attended, probably because of distance. But my two brothers Brett and Paul, and their wives, Gayle and Kathy, were there. So was my bishop Gerald Jensen and his wife and Earl and Renee Olsen, good friends of Winston and Aileen, Riley's parents.

After the ceremony we took pictures outside the temple. It was windy and my dress kept blowing up. My mom would rearrange it so it looked nice. Riley had on a tan cordouroy suit. He and I rode with Winston and Aileen to Maddox in Brigham City for our wedding luncheon. There were many more people there, mostly Brigham City friends. We had a chopped beef dinner. We drove to Springville in Riley's mustang and went to my house. I think we must have changed clothes for a few hours before our reception at 6:30 at the center street church.

These are some of the details of the day and I could write more. But the important thing is what I got that day. I got a loving husband with a sense of humor. I married a man who honors his priesthood and loves the Lord. I began a life of church activity that I have grown to love and cherish. I got an exciting life of education and travel with a man who loves to learn, loves to teach and loves to see new things. In just 10 months I became a mother to a sweet little boy Jason. We added two darling daughters - Andrea and Amy within five years.

I love my life. I love the memories of a day 29 years ago that put me on an exciting, memorable path with a loving partner. Happy Anniversary Riley. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment