Saturday, April 10, 2010

The ebb and flow of life

Life is sometimes like gentle lapping ocean waves, easily receding and advancing, the rhythm a natural cadence of back and forth, in and out. Once is a while the waves move at a quicker pace, something underwater is making them pick up speed and the cadence increases but still remains regular. Occasionally a storm cell with lightning bolts and high wind develops out over the water and the waves begin crashing on the shore, wiping out all semblance of normalcy, changing the landscape of the earth it touches.

My life has mostly been gentle lapping waves, a regular rhythm of day-to-day life with some changes in tide for good measure. It's been comfortable, this life of mine, and although there have been rough spots, I learned and grew from them. Sometimes the waves crashing caused heartache and difficulty. Other times the waves crashed as periods of change entered my life. I can name those days or stretches of time:

Leaving home at age 19
My marriage to Riley
The birth of each of my three children
The moves we made to California, Texas and Utah
Losing Aileen, Winston, my dad and Stacie (I lost others along the way but the change to my life in those instances where not as severe)
Seeing each of my children leave home
Graduating from college
My mom's health these past 16 months

Maybe I'm being more contemplative as I near my 50th birthday. It truly is a milestone and one I fear and relish at the same time. I have books I want to write, adventures I want to take and places I want to travel to yet I love the natural cadence of my every day life and want to revel in each moment. The waves that crash upsetting the rhythm of my life are sometimes unwelcome and I want to moan about what's put upon me but in the end, it just becomes a part of the natural ebb and flow. The waves always calm. I just have to be ready.

4 comments:

  1. i don't think i've ever heard the moaning during the waves of your life. you're brave. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto - I've never heard a peep of complaint. And what would life be without irregularities? Great reminders and a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the way you wrote your latest piece. It make me think of my ebbs and flows in life. I hope your trip to France will bring you great peace, memories and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've crammed a lot into those almost 50 years and for what it's worth, the end product (well so far) is completely worth it. I'm lucky to have you as an aunt and an example!

    ReplyDelete