Sunday, July 19, 2015

My Mother's Last Days - July 19, 2015

I didn't write yesterday. Life pushes and pulls me from a million different directions and time slipped away before I got a chance to write.

Being Sunday, I want to reflect on my mom's activity in the church, her love of the Savior and her testimony. As with some people in the church, my mom went through stages of activity in the gospel throughout her life. My mom and dad were married in the Salt Lake Temple on Oct. 1, 1947. My mom was 18; dad was 19 - a young, madly-in-love couple. They chose to be sealed for time and all eternity so I know it was important to them on some level.

My siblings have memories of my parents not going to church in their early years. I know Kelly and I were blessed when we were babies - there are pictures of that day. My memories of church go as far back as I can remember. We went to Jr. Sunday School in the basement of the 8th ward church in Springville. There were wooden pews and the sacrament was passed. The chapel had a loft with stairs to it. You could go upstairs if the main floor was crowded with worshipers. I remember being baptized by my brother Paul and confirmed the next day by my dad in sacrament meeting.

My mother served as mutual president when Kelly and I were little. I remember her telling me she asked to be released because having twins was just too demanding. But she told stories of going to girls' camp at Timp Lodge behind Timpanogos and Gold and Green Balls, church bazaars where ladies crocheted, knitted and baked to raise money for the church budget, I think. So I know she was involved in church activities and my memories are that we were a family who went to church.

I'm not sure how much my mom and dad went to the temple in the first 20 years of their marriage but they did go with my brothers as each received their endowment in the temple prior to their missions and I prepared for marriage. They attended sealings of children and grandchildren in various temples. I saw my father and mother become more active in the gospel, accepting a calling to do proxy sealings weekly in the Provo Temple.

In mom's later years she received her patriarchal blessing and she loved to go to the temple. She is a big advocate of prayer. I sometimes think she has a straight link to Heavenly Father; that he listens and answers her fervent prayers. I've heard her pray for long periods of time in a meaningful, non-repetitive way. I know He hears her.

Mom has shared her testimony with me. She believes in God and His son Jesus Christ. She loves the gospel of Jesus Christ. She has spoken of Joseph Smith and his role in the restoration of the gospel. She has been a wonderful supporter of missionaries, sending money to each grandchild who served a mission. Without even saying a word, I know my mother lives and loves the gospel. She is the epitome of Christlike love, sacrifice, forgiveness and kindness. She has turned the other cheek many times and has been blessed for it.

Mom wanted to die with a current temple recommend. That will happen, thanks to a wonderful bishop and stake president who renewed it last fall by going to visit her rather than her going to them.

I'm grateful for my mom and her love of the gospel. We joke she has earned sainthood because of her dealings in this life. I believe she will be exalted and that she is one of God's chosen daughters. I can't wait to spend eternity loving the mother I loved on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment