Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Two movies everyone should see

I have many favorite movies. Wizard of Oz will always be at the top but I just added a new one to my list - "Temple Grandin." It's about an autistic woman who excels in life, getting a B.A., a master's and a Ph.D. Her story won an Emmy recently for best picture. The best line in the movie is "autistic people are different, not less."

The other movie I love is called "The Boys Next Door" about a group of retarded men living in a house. It's funny but also poignant, especially one scene where a retarded man stands and gives an eloquent speech. The scene is how he'd give it if he wasn't retarded. It makes me think of the afterlife when we will be perfect and without physical problems.

Everyone should see these two films. We need to treat each other better, especially those who are different. Temple Grandin shows how people can be cruel to those who are different. It would be a great movie to show children and teenagers of how NOT to be, and to teach acceptance. It's very thought-provoking and I'm so glad we saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment