Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Going to the temple

I got to go to the temple last night. I missed last month because of a stake meeting. I think back to when we lived in Texas and how we had to make a concerted effort to leave town for two days, drive three hours and stay in a motel just to attend the temple. Here I drive by the temple all the time - it's just minutes from my house. What a blessing!

As I sat there dressed in white I thought of the person I was going through for - was she there? How old was she? Sometimes I fall asleep during the session but I was determined to stay awake for Maude D. Lackey from Indiana in 1879, the woman whose name I had. Whether she was there to pay attention or not, I did, and I heard the familiar words from so many times before. It's truly comforting to learn line upon line at the temple. Sometimes I don't learn something new, but many times I do and I walk away in wonder. Something was said last night about the second coming and our need for preparation. I think so many of us shelve that thought until convenient times to think about it - maybe in discussions in Sunday School. But the fact is, it's there all the time - the second coming of Christ will happen and some who are alive on the earth today will probably be a part of it. I want to live my life so that I am ready for that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment