Sunday, May 31, 2009

What a weekend!

There have been a lot of major things building up lately and several took place this weekend. First, my mom had her 80th birthday. I've kidded her for several years that we were going to get the Springville High marching band to play at her birthday. Well this year it happened - they really came and played! About 16 of them plus a band major and 2 flag twirlers. It was probably the most memorable thing to happen to my mom in a long time. People asked how I got them to play for her. I just asked. It's a longer story than that but the point is - if you want to make something happen you have to just ask the right people. Thanks SHS for coming through for her! And I appreciated all the family members who came, brought food, helped with dinner and cleaned up. We had a great time together - one we won't forget for a long time!

Next, my siblings and I got together for a pow wow and to oil the cabin. These were both momentous events - we discussed lots of things that needed attention and we haven't been in the same place at the same time for a very long time so it was good to be together. We had a lot of fun kidding around but we tackled some heavy duty subjects too. Oiling the cabin was a MAJOR job but we got it done in about 5 hours. Brett, Paul, Kelly, Riley, Jan, McKade, Paul and Brian Ashton and I worked on putting the oil on the logs both by sprayer and paintbrush. It was a hot, sticky job. Andrea and Amy brought Grandma Wheeler to the cabin so she could see the happenings. She was possessed for a few minutes by the spirit of Dick Wheeler, and, wearing his hat and a grandpa sweatshirt, gave a short speech on how much he loved his family and that we were all doing a good job to take care of it. (My mom is crazy.) The cabin looks amazing and is good for another 5 years, or however long it takes to oil it again.

Now on to youth conference ...

No comments:

Post a Comment