Saturday, January 23, 2010

The key to happiness

I'm pretty sure I've found the key to happiness. Giving. Service. Thinking of others. Really, can you think of anything else that compares? There are things in life that are fun and exciting - seeing new countries, rappelling, snowmobiling and hot air balloon rides. There are the delicious - cocoa with whipped cream, Hawaiian pizza, clam chowder and chocolate (Not together). Some things are just plain comfortable - sitting by a fire with a good book, a worn-out pair of jeans, soaking in a hot tub or sleeping without setting an alarm. These all bring about happy feelings but I think the best happiness comes from making a casserole for the food kitchen, helping at a funeral lunch, giving things away on freecycle to someone who needs it more, donating to help in Haiti. I like the feelings I get when I indulge in a good dark chocolate or snowmobile across the white expanse but it just doesn't measure up to the satisfaction of helping someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment