Thursday, July 2, 2009

Riley's wanderings and the construction he left behind

Riley left for Mongolia the other day. This is his fourth trip. Each trip has lasted from 3-5 weeks. It will be 29 days this time. I'm used to it a bit more now but it still isn't fun to have him gone. I love Riley. I like it when he's around. Yet, while he's gone, I try to do a bunch of things to fill the time. One summer I tore out carpet, painted and stained bedrooms walls, laid tile, replaced outdoor patio carpet and more. Last year I revamped a bathroom with the help of my friend Daniel. I always tell people I wait until Riley is gone to do these kinds of projects because then I get to make the decisions myself. The truth is, he'd let me anyway - he's that kind of husband. Not that he doesn't have an opinion - he does. And I usually listen to it. Then I do what makes sense to me anyway. And he supports it.

This time we have major construction at our house and he will miss the whole thing. We had our sunroom torn off because it had started leaking so badly. I was sick of bowls in the room to catch the rain. They ripped it off the day he left so he hasn't seen the plywood wall in the living or walked out to see a big nothing where the sunroom was. You can walk all the way across the floor at the back of the house without going through doors - pretty airy. By the time he returns they will be almost finished with the room. When they take the plywood down it will be like Extreme Makeover - "Jordan - move that wood!" And then we will see a lovely new room with a big picture window, skylights and energy efficient glass. That's one project Riley gave approval to before he left. But the surprise will be for both of us.

2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing when Mark is gone. I was going to paint James' room this week but we decided to take a vacation in 110 degree weather while Mark is in NY at a conference and my parents are in ID!

    By the way, I think you are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa - you're pretty great yourself. And why you decided to go to Nevada in July is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete