Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No rest for the weary

It seems odd to be posting a blog in the middle of the night but I can't sleep. I keep waking up with all the things that need to be done at my mom's house on my mind. She is well enough to go home, or will be in a couple of weeks, we hope. And we are thoroughly grateful for that. But that entails hiring someone to live with her. If that isn't daunting enough (the interviewing, checking references, going over details about her needs, etc.) there is the work to be done to get her house ready. She needs a better sleeping arrangement (not a couch like she used to sleep on) so we need to clear out the TV room and move a bed in. The bed we are going to use in currently holding about 100 sweatshirts (I'm not kidding). So it has to be moved downstairs. Another bedroom needs to be cleared out for the live-in help. So does a bathroom. If anyone knows my mom's house, they know it is piled high with not only sweatshirts but floral arrangements, books, shoes, CDs, blankets, books, puzzles, dishes, more clothes, knickknacks and more books. These all have to go somewhere to make room for the new help.

The kitchen needs to be cleaned and stocked with food. Safety bars need to be installed; so do towel bars. Clutter needs to go, pathways need to be cleared and drawers need to be cleaned out. Curtains need to be washed, a TV cable installed for upstairs, new items need to be bought that will help my mom see better: a big number phone, a magnifier, an easy to turn on lamp, etc.

It's no wonder I can't sleep. And yes, I can ask for help and I will. But somebody's got to get the ball rolling.

1 comment:

  1. That is a lot of work. I am thankful she is feeling better and that you will get help to get all the work done. If there's anything we can do from long distance, let us know. (maybe we could help research the items that need to be bought?)

    ReplyDelete