Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mary or Martha? Christmas gift giving

Sometimes I wish I could be more Mary. I want to tell the Martha in me to stop making lists -- to just go sit and relax, visit, listen and enjoy the moment. It's a hard thing to admit. I do love relaxing. I love visiting with family and friends. I love listening to those who have good stories to tell or who might even need advice. I love enjoying special moments with my husband, kids, family and friends. But I get so caught up in the planning, organizing and doing, the needful things, the food that will be eaten, the clean up, all the details that MAKE special moments happen that it diminishes those very moments sometimes. I'm going to try to be more Mary.

I decided I wasn't going to decorate the Christmas tree this year. I just haven't had time and I looked at the tree with the lights on (thanks Amy) and thought, good enough. But it isn't enough. It's one detail I want to take care of because a decorated tree makes me happy. It makes my heart happy. As I unwrap each ornament I remember where it came from, who made it or who gave it to us and they each have their own little story.

I'm also rethinking neighbor gifts this year. Those who know me well know I don't like getting things I have to dust. It's my least favorite chore. I also like Christmas treats but there get to be so many throughout the weeks before Christmas that we are sick of them cluttering the counter and adding inches to my waist. I want to tell my neighbors I love them in a different way. I'm going to send cards with notes that tell them we love them and because we love them we're not giving them something to dust or eat. We're donating an amount of money in their name to the local food and care coalition. With about 20 families to give to, this could amount to around $100 - money the coalition needs, not dustable items and pounds on hips.

I'm wrapped in my favorite sister-in-law quilt watching it snow outside. Maybe I can be a Mary.

1 comment: