Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

In 2007 my resolution was to not buy any new clothes for a year. It was not an easy feat but I did it. Socks and underwear were considered necessities so I bought those but I didn't buy any new clothes or shoes for a whole year. It was a year of learning things about myself regarding shopping. I'm not a shopper anyway but it was fun to start shopping again a year later.

In 2008 I decided not to shop at Wal-Mart. Ever. Again. Hate that place. I kept it up for 2009 so I haven't shopped there since Dec. 27, 2007. I shop at Target and other places. People say Target is more expensive and it is. But it is higher quality. And because things aren't so cheap, I don't buy more of something - "Oh look, there are some neato plastic ladybug placemats at Wal-Mart. Since they're only $.99 I'll buy 24 of them!"

So what to do for 2010? Well, one thing I haven't done much of this year is serve others. I've been so focused on taking care of my mother who has had myriad health problems, that doing nice things for others has taken a back seat. I haven't liked it. In November someone on freecycle needed help with food. Both husband and wife had lost their jobs. I emailed the mom and asked what they needed, then filled that need. It made me feel good and reminded me of what I hadn't been doing.

So that is my resolution. I'm going to start giving more. My mother will still be a recipient for sure, but I've always loved taking treats to neighbors, tending my Parker grandbabies, writing thank-you's to deserving people, and even, on occasion, paying for someone else's groceries in line ahead of me. I like doing things that make me feel good while helping someone else. Because I have been given much, I too must give. That's my resolution. Hope it sticks.

2 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful resolution - you are such a sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaye - In my opinion you did lots and lots of giving this year, so give yourself more credit, would ya? Regardless of your opinions though, I love your new resolution. Great motto and one that reminds me of my dad.

    ReplyDelete