Sunday, June 20, 2010

The dads in my life

Today is Father's Day - a contrived holiday to help us remember our fathers. It's probably a good thing to set this day aside to honor our fathers. While we should be thankful for them every day, it's good to get a nudge to do it, if only to buy one more tie or make a delicious pie.

There are three cherished fathers in my life: my own father, Riley, the father of my children and Winston, Riley's father. Here is a top 10 list of likes and memories for each:

My dad:
1) Could build or fix anything.
2) Loved his wife and kids.
3) Taught me how to work and just as importantly, how to play.
4) Had a firm testimony.
5) Loved green jello and green gummi bears.
6) Went for bike rides with me.
7) Taught me how to shoot a gun, shoot baskets, walk on stilts, snowmobile and water-ski.
9) Visited me in California and Texas.
10) Wore cowboy boots.

Riley:
1) Loves when I make him a pie.
2) Makes his own colorful belts.
3) Walks the beaches, hills and mountains of the world chasing bugs.
4) Lets me sleep.
5) Makes the best pancakes.
6) Loves me and loves his kids.
7) Is a worthy priesthood holder with a steadfast testimony.
8) Likes thought-provoking movies. And action ones.
9) Has well-defined taste buds, more so than mine.
10) Can fix most anything that breaks, but knows when to call a repairman.

My father-in-law Winston:
1) Nicknamed me Kaye Bagel.
2) Loved my fried potatoes. Or anything else I cooked.
3) Pushed our kids in the swings in his yard.
4) Had a strong testimony.
5) Did crazy things when the video camera was aimed at him.
6) Bought our first video camera for us.
7) Drank Coke and ate Ding Dongs.
8) Was a lifelong scouter.
9) Loved his wife and sons.
10) Gave candy to the neighbor kids if they recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

I love these three men. I'm a better person because they are/were in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Riley does indeed make the best pancakes! Yum-o. In fact, we have made his recipe twice in the past two weeks. But if I call them "Riley pancakes", Logan gets confused and all excited because he thinks we are going to Grandma Kaye and Grandpa Riley's house. :-)

    ReplyDelete