Monday, June 28, 2010

Girl's camp

Girl's camp was invented for three reasons: to draw near to the Lord and strengthen your testimony (OK, that's two), to get away from the material trappings of life and to have fun (i.e. pranks). I'm leaving for girl's camp tomorrow. It will be my 15th year at camp as a leader.

Here are some things I take with me:
1) my scriptures
2) a flashlight
3) needle and thread to sew people's sleeves and sleeping bags
4) snacks
5) ear plugs
6) my Nalgene

Here is what Gladiola takes:
1) her red lipstick
2) her horn-rimmed glasses
3) one pink sponge curler
4) blue eye shadow
5) her shoulder pad vest (it really belongs to my mom)
6) her 'not normal' visor
7) pink shoes
8) straw purse with things glued on the side
9) crab hat
10) Minnie Mouse glasses

I don't know why I love camp so much. It could be the chance to be as weird as possible and not caring what people think. It might be the setting - here in Utah it's among pines and aspens. Just sitting in a grove of these trees, looking out over God's creations is an awe-inspiring experience. Maybe it's that camp, high in the mountains, is closer to heaven and it's easier to feel God's presence. It could be hanging out with friends, getting emotional about tender things or laughing hysterically. Maybe it's just a lovely combination of all these things. Whatever it is, I love it.

3 comments:

  1. Have fun Gladiola!Don't forget saran wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm very jealous of all of these girls you're going to camp with! have so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I get put into YW when my kids are older so I don't have to worry about who will watch the boys for a whole week. I love girls' camp!

    ReplyDelete