Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pay it forward

I've done this a few times - paid for someone's groceries behind me in line. It's not easy to do because you have to be sneaky with the grocery clerk. I usually do this with kids because adults are too suspicious and unrelenting. Tonight a kid behind me had a 2-liter bottle of Mt. Dew. I slipped the clerk a couple of dollars to pay for it. She scanned it and the kid handed her his money. She handed it to me. I handed it back to him. He looked confused. The clerk said, "she just paid for your drink." He stared at me. I said "Pay it forward." He stared harder. I asked, "Do you know what that means?" He shook his head. He was only about 11. I said, "I did something nice for you, now you do something nice for someone else." He mumbled thanks. I walked out of the store. He was behind me. He ran to his car yelling at his mom that some lady bought his drink for him. He stopped running and yelled, "Thanks lady" to me. I told him he was welcome and to have a nice night.

A fun end to a good day.

1 comment:

  1. You can come visit us and pay for our groceries. :) Not the same, I know... That sounds like a lot of fun. Pretty cool to make a kids' day like that.

    ReplyDelete